It rained heavily all day. The terrain was a cheerless stone slabbed path through sodden peat bog and otherwise dreary terrain. As the Trans Pennine Motorway came into view we were cheered by the sight of a layby with a tea-van. We stopped for some hot snacks and hot drinks while the tea-van owner told us how he’d operated the van for 27years. I wasn’t sure whether to congratulate him or cry for him. He seemed to be a local celebrity with passing customers.
The only memorable highlight of the next section past Blackstone Edge was a stone paved section of Roman Road, a feature I’d been wanting to visit for years after seeing an illustration of it. We then pressed on to another highlight of the day – a pub along the route.My tendons had become so sore by now that I decided to walk in sandals. Not the best footwear through peat bog.
The rain began to ease as we approached the town of Hebden Bridge which we approached along a pretty canal. Ian had a reservation at one of the better pubs and with no campsite to hand and wanting a warm dry bed I opted for a local privately ‘green / vegetarian Hostel behind the Churches Centre. The hostel had everything and for only £12 included breakfast. The only drawback it being on the other side of town and up a steep hill like all Youth Hostels seem to be.
