Both boy and bike are doing well; the boy better than the bike in fact. Oddly the effort of cycling (headwind aside) is the least of my worries. Even the bum has given up complaining. If I had no reason to stop and sufficient muesli bars and fruit juice and so on I could probably manage 200kms a day (Haydon note). Though on cue as I write I have my first attack of leg cramps of the trip: Cycling fine – sitting down is not apparently.
The bike is also holding up well apart from the new rear wheel bearing which I’ll have to dismantle and repack with grease and tighten before long (or maybe just get someone to do it if I spot a bikeshop). I haven’t even had a puncture yet. This means of course I have just tempted the devil and will get one tomorrow.
So tomorrow, all being well, I will pass my reach 1000kms and with St Malo now on the port helm be over half way from Barcelona to London Unless - I change my mind again.
And no one said I had to travel to the very north of France and its ferry ports of Calais etc lets face it. And I’ve seen all the pretty villages I need for a while. And any port in a storm will do.
But now I thnk l I'm going to change my mind again.....
STOP PRESS - I fixed my back wheel bearing with a tool I just ought so on on..