When I asked if the Canal Du Midi was somewhere in the area the nice lady agent said the main port was 50 meters down the road so off I set.

The first person I chanced upon as I gazed on the beautuful canal was a fellow of a similar difficult age as myself. I asked him in polite French if here knew where the 'Basin' was. His quizzical look marked him immediately as an Englishman.
Ian (a Mecahnical Englineer) and wife Ros had their canalboat berthed nearby and invited me to stay for dinne: And convinced of the advantages of canal boats over houses and introduced me to the european waterway network. Interestingly their modest size boat packs a car on the back deck. Ian designed and built the boat with wife Ros or course.
I wonder why four out of five men I have met in my travels are Professinal Engineers of one sort or another. I think I know.
