Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mirepoix to Carcasonne

The next morning dawned bleak and quickly brewed into gale force headwinds.. Added to that the road had become much hillier and after several hours pedalling, for the first time in my life I felt drained of energy and unable to go much further. It was then I came to a Freeway over my road that I knew would lead more directly to Carcassone and with easier grades so I decided to climb the fence and transfer to the Freeway.
After only about 5km pedalling I heard the loudspeaker on the Highway Security patrol van hailing me down. He immediately called up the Gendarmerie who arrived to inform me I was under arrest; and would be taken into town and charged. After I explained my reasons for taking the Freeway (the gale force winds etc) and the origin of my journey, and handed over my Australian passport, they all thought it amusing; exchanged glances that confirmed I must be stupid but harmless, started taking rugby (of which I know nothing) and left me free to go (but not along the Freeway) with a cheery wave.
The Gendarme was interesting in that he insisted on speaking to me in terrible English. I was sure it was to impress his young female offsider inside the patrol car checking my ‘papers.’ As I let the menfolk deep in their rugby conversation and passed her still in the patrol car I said to her in English that her companion’s English was crap. She replied to me in clear English ‘YesI know.’