Friday, April 29, 2011

Final final day in Erehwon

Just when I’d figured out my internet connection problem my USB modem did a bunk. A chance discovery revealed a ‘Function’ key on the keyboard of which I was previously unaware, that turned the modem on an off. I’d obviously hit it by mistake. Murphy’s Law I guess, but solving the problem at least bouyed me a little.

I’d forgotten how comforting the internet can be when you are on your own. The world is still yours, your affairs can be kept in check, plans can be set in store, French Real Estate browsed, and you can catch up with family and with friends (both of them) one way or another. You can even still buy stuff on eBay that you don’t need, though where to direct it becomes a problem.
So I searched the house and my luggage twice to no avail. I can only assume it dropped from my pocket in the town below the day before. Another Euro 20 down the gurgler.
A visit to the local ‘Town Hall’ the next village up, which I had been assured offered free wi-fi came to nought since it was closed. The visit brought its own light relief: First by way of a fellow my age sitting alone outside a bar. When I asked him where I’d find the ‘Ajuntamiento’ he replied in German that that was all he spoke. Glad of the opportunity to give mine an airing we chatted for a while. He expressed no interest in the local cultural offerings, castles etc, nor in the area’s many walking trails. I left wondering what it was had brought him here. He also expressed his disapproval of the English and the French but reserved his judgement on Australians. I didn’t even mention the war.
The next person I made enquiries of on the street answered me in ‘Derbyshire’ Spanish. I chatted with her briefly in English then pedalled off thinking what a coincidence I’d met a second person here from Derbyshire. I thought later that people more often come in pairs then realised she must have been the better half of the fellow who minded J’s house.
Later that evenning desperate for company I visited the local bar (it was empty) and stuck up a conversation with the ‘bar maid’ who after complimenting my Spanish said she was busy (the bar being empty) so I left pondering how lonely solitary life can be. Something I’d only once previously experienced long ago.
So without company, TV or internet to amuse me I settled in for the rest of the evening with a few bursts on the bagpipe chanter (not wishing to further disturb the neighbours). I finished the evening pondering whether to watch another of my stock of movies or have an early night, ready for a dawn start straight through to Barcelona where I had a friendly former neighbour expecting / welcoming me (hopefully).